As men get older their prostate increases in size, benign prosthetic hyperplasia
(BPH) is a progressive enlargement of the prostate. Symptoms include;
increased in frequency of needing the toilet, urge incontinence, having to get up in the night and complete emptying bladder.
- Avoid drinking large amounts of liquid at any time.
- Avoid drinks altogether before bed.
- Reduced consumption of alcohol and caffeine (as these can stimulate the
- Certain antidepressants and antihistamines can make symptoms worse.
- Speak to your GP if you have concerns.
Symptoms that require urgent referral:
- Pain on passing urine, bloody or cloudy urine.
- Unexplained fever- may indicate infection.
- Excessive thirst and tiredness may indicate undiagnosed or unstable
Enlarged Prostate Treatment
We also recommend a well man’s clinic checkup after the age of 40, sooner if
lifestyle is poor. This may involve a physical exam and or a blood test known as a Prostate Specific Antigen(PSA) test.